Monday 10 August 2009

So how do we evolve

This question is something that has been discussed with a few mates recently (and ive thought about more after a long weekend shooting for the gallery and then toolroom knights). Times are changing, just look at how life is now compaired to in the 1950s, heck look at the differences now to the 1990s. Technology changes, things improve, prices change as do fashions. So why shouldnt photography? Well I mean why shouldnt a photographer, our gear is constantly changing with the technology around us, we now are the digital era, with hours spent on computers with photos rather than alone in a dark room. Ok so im a newbie in that sence, I wasnt part of the 35mm area although when I look through it, its pretty cool! Photographers were photographers not graphic designers.

So without going off on to much of a tanget what am I rambling on about? Well as I said life changes, so what about me as a photographer. Do I change? Some might say you get a style and you can see it stays, its ever evolving though, with new angles to be seen, new effects with the flash etc... I can look back at what I was shooting in a local club and everythings different, not just the settings, but the way I look at a shot, again even a couple of months ago you could see it was a bit different to what I shoot now. Ok maybe some of its to do with the gear im using now as opposed to then, but even so im still looking each week for something else to play with something else. I guess its why despite shooting the same venue each week for well over a year I dont seem to get bored of it, even though i know the lights, the smoke, even now which dj does what behind the decks theres allways something new to try, a little change on the setting, a different angle, flash or no flash, etc... Its just something that you can just allways keep trying to do something new with, some may work some wont, but isnt that what Evolution is about? Ok maybe im thinking a bit to literally but its allways good to sit back and see just where you have come from, and how you have changed, whether its as a person or just with the type of style you shoot with.

So on that, with every new job comes a new challenge, should we worry about it or embrace that challenge? I say embrace it and see what new cool stuff you can come up with :D

No comments:

Post a Comment